Keeping You Informed: COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, all YMCA of Greater Michiana facilities are currently closed.
Our tentative reopening dates are as follows:
- South Bend-Mishawaka: Tuesday, May 26
- Benton Harbor-St. Joseph & Niles-Buchanan: Monday, June 1
We know there is much concern regarding the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The YMCA of Greater Michiana takes the importance of maintaining an environment that minimizes the spread of infectious disease very seriously. We want to share with you information about the steps we are taking to keep our members, program participants, and guests safe.
If you have health-related concerns, please contact your healthcare provider. For developing information about the COVID-19, please utilize resources from:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS)
- Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH)
- Berrien County Health Department
- St. Joseph County Health Department
If you would like to speak to someone about your membership, please contact us here.
As we have updates to share, we will post details on this page.
We deeply appreciate your understanding and patience as we navigate the challenging circumstances related to COVID-19. We are working as quickly as we can to keep you updated and address your questions.
We know a closure such as this brings many questions and while our responses continue to evolve with the ever-changing circumstances, we hope our member updates can provide clarity for your questions.
- Member Communication - Membership Update & Tentative Reopen Date 5/4/2020
- Member Communication - Stay Home Order Extended & Membership Updates 4/20/2020
- Member Communication - COVID-19 Updates 4/10/2020
- Member Communication - Closure Extended & FAQ 3/30/2020
- Member Communication - Virtual Fitness Challenge 3/20/2020
- Member Communication - Membership Dues 3/18/2020
- Member Communication - Virtual Fitness Classes 3/17/2020
- Member Communication - Facilities Closing 3/16/2020
- Member Communication - Y Remains Open 3/13/2020
- Member Communication - Tips for Staying Healthy 3/12/2020
SPRING SESSION CANCELED
We have made the decision to cancel our spring 2020 program session. We hope to pick back up with session programming for Summer I, which is scheduled to begin in June.
VIRTUAL FITNESS CLASSES
Looking for ways to stay fit at home? Stream workouts from home for FREE!
Regular exercise is one component of a healthy lifestyle that can help reduce stress and prevent illness. While we wish we could see you all at the Y, below are some free options to help keep you active and working out at home:
YMCA 360 On Demand — This channel has virtual classes led by Y instructors with a variety of classes and formats.
LES MILLS At Home — Workout at home with a variety of LES MILLS workouts.
LES MILLS for Kids — When it comes to learning a whole lot of cool moves from dance, martial arts and yoga this class is the way to go. Each 20 or 40-minute class is jam-packed with cool music and foundation fitness moves and fun games. This is sure to leave the kids (and parents) feeling great!
MOSSA (Strength Train Together) — Register for a FREE 60-day trial. *You will have to enter credit card information to unlock the trial. Each individual participant is responsible for canceling their account before being automatically charged after the 60-day free trial.
Silver Sneakers on Demand — SilverSneakers On-Demand features a wide variety of videos specifically designed for people ages 65 and up. Flexibility/mobility, balance, cardio, strength, and more: regardless of your abilities or interests, there's something for you
The YMCA of Greater Michiana is not responsible for any injuries sustained during at-home workouts. Please do not attempt workouts beyond your fitness level comfort.
STAY HEALTH-Y VIRTUAL FITNESS CHALLENGE
During these times of uncertainty, it is important now, more than ever, that we come together at a Y movement to remain connected and foster a sense of community. With that being said, Ys across the nation have been working innovatively to create an all-new, month-long virtual fitness challenge, Stay Health-Y. Click here to learn more!
YMCA Family Newsletters - Y @ Home
Looking for something fun to do while you are home with the kids? Check out these fun, Y-approved activities including STEM, character development, physical activities, healthy recipes, and more. Check back for a new newsletter each week!
Resources for Everyone
- Stay Home, Stay MIndful - research-based meditation and mindfulness
Resources for Kids: E-Learning & COVID-19
- Talking with your child about the coronavirus: NPR Life Kit Podcast has published "Coronavirus and Parenting: What You Need To Know."
- Psychology Today has published "How to Talk to Your Anxious Child About the Coronavirus."
- National Children's Traumatic Stress Network material
- CDC Resources for Children
- Brain Pop for younger kids
- NPR cartoon for older kids
- WNIT (PBS) Resources for Parents
- WNIT (PBS) Resouces for Educators
- At Home Resources via Action for Healthy Kids
- Be Strong Families Virtual Events & Resources
- Berrien County Great Start Collaborative & Bright By Text Resources
- PBS Local At-Home Learning Channel Schedule
- Girl Scouts at Home
Businesses & Unemployment
- Unemployment and financial resources in St. Joseph County, IN
- Business & Community Resources via Buchanan Chamber of Commerce
Resources for Seniors
Addiction & Stress Resources
FOOD SERVICE PROGRAMS
Local schools and organizations are sites for providing to-go food options for those under 18 (ages/guidelines vary depending on the site) to supplement the food children would have otherwise received at school. Please check with your local school for availability.
- Food Bank Locations in St. Joseph, County IN
- Indiana Food Assistance Availability Map
- United Way of St. Joseph County Indiana Partners for Food, Rent, Utility, and Shelter
- Southwest Michigan Food Distribution Sites via United Way of Southwest Michigan
SENIOR FITNESS CLASSES & LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA
In consideration of the health and well-being of our senior & high-risk population, senior fitness classes, Enhance Fitness, LIVESTRONG, and Stay Strong classes will be canceled starting Monday, March 16. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates if changes are necessary.
EMERGENCY CHILD CARE
Beginning on Wednesday, March 18, we will only offer emergency child care to essential and emergency personnel. For more information on this service contact Zech Hoyt at firstname.lastname@example.org.