All facilities are currently open!
With guidance from state and local agencies, our three fitness facilities are currently open with precautions and limitations. Please read over the below guidelines so you understand how we are keeping you safe — and what we expect of you. Below you will find general guidelines as well as guidelines for specific program areas. Check back as we add more offerings.
Hours of Operation
Benton Harbor-St. Joseph YMCA
M-Th 5:00 AM-9:00 PM
Fri 5:00 AM-7:30 PM
Sat 6:00 AM-4:00 PM
M-F 8:00 AM-7:30 PM
Sat 8:00 AM-12:00 PM
Sat 6:15 AM-3:30 PM
M-Th 5:00 AM-9:00 PM
Fri 5:00 AM-7:30 PM
Sat 8:00 AM-4:00 PM
M-F 8:30 AM-6:30 PM
Sat Call for Availability
M-F 5:30 AM-7:15 PM
Sat 8:30 AM-3:00 PM
Hours M-F 6:30-9:00 AM; 5:00-7:15 PM
Sat 8:30 AM-3:00 PM
O’Brien Fitness Center
M-F 5:00 AM-9:00 PM
Sat 7:00 AM-4:00 PM
Sun 8:00 AM-2:00 PM
M-F 8:00 AM-12:00 PM
M-Th 4:00-7:00 PM
Updated Mask Policy 5/17/21:
Fully vaccinated individuals are welcome to use our facilities mask-free.
Individuals who are not fully vaccinated, according to CDC guidelines, are required to wear a mask while inside YMCA facilities.
- Indoors: If you are vaccinated, wearing a mask is optional.
- Outdoors: Masks are not required for outdoor activities.
- Not Vaccinated: Per CDC guidelines unvaccinated persons age 2+ are required to wear a mask while indoors.
- Social Distancing: Please continue to respect the 6’ of distance protocol.
Per CDC guidelines, you are considered fully vaccinated when at least 2 weeks have passed since receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series, or at least 2 weeks have passed since receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine.
Building Entry - We are currently open with limited hours to our members and the community.
COVID Screening - Staff will be required to receive a temperature check (100 degrees max) at Member Service.
Locker Rooms & Showers – All locker rooms and showers are available. The Y team will clean locker rooms and bathrooms on a regular schedule. Whenever possible, members should arrive at the facility in workout clothes/swimsuit to minimize time in the locker rooms.
Childwatch – Childwatch is open for all members and guests utilizing our facilities.
Group exercise classes are available at all three of our fitness facilities.
- No reservations required.
- Classes will be first-come, first-served if capacity is reached. A few modifications include:
- 6-foot physical distancing between participants
- Disinfecting equipment before and after use
Cardio & Weight Rooms
Cardio & Weight rooms are open with modifications. Spray bottles with disinfectant are strategically placed around the facility for cleaning of machines and equipment. Y team on the wellness floor will focus on cleaning machines, dumbbells, and bar.
Members are expected to:
- Disinfect machines, equipment, & lockers before and after use
- Maintain 6-foot distance both on and off machines
- Wait to use neighboring machines that are less than 6 feet apart
- Arrive at the facility in workout clothes/swimsuit to minimize time in the locker rooms whenever possible
- 20-person maximum (20-person max per side at Niles-Buchanan)
- Please use hand sanitizer before and after using equipment.
- Please maintain a 6-foot distance when not in play.
Swim Lessons - Group, Semi-Private, and Private swim lessons are available. Group lessons are limited to 6 participants per class.
Lap & Family Swim - Lap Swim & Family Swim are available. Please see pool schedule for times. Lap and family swim are defined as:
- Lap Swim - Children 13 and over only. Limit 2 per lane at Niles-Buchanan and 1 per lane at Benton Harbor-St. Joseph.
- Family Swim – Niles-Buchanan Therapy Pool only. Open to all families and adults. Anyone under the age of 18 must have an adult in the water with them in order to help keep the family environment.
Open Swim – Open Swim is available at the Niles-Buchanan branch. Start date TBD at the Benton Harbor-St. Joseph branch. Open Swim is defined as:
- Open to all families, adults, & children. Those 7 and under must be accompanied by an adult in the water. All children under 42” tall from the shoulder to the floor must also be with an adult.
Saunas & Steam Room – The Benton Harbor-St. Joseph branch steam room and Niles-Buchanan branch saunas are mandated to be closed and will reopen when restrictions are lifted. (Michigan Executive Order 2020-175)
Therapy Pool – The therapy pool is open with limited hours and a max capacity of 8 people at one time.
Swim Team – Swim teams at the Benton Harbor-St. Joseph & Niles-Buchanan branches are running practice. We are following guidelines USA swimming has put together for social distancing.
Aqua Greyhound Masters – Is currently running its 10th season. View times and pricing at ymcagm.org/aquatics
- Lap Swim available (Limit 1 per lap lane at BHSJ & Limit 2 per lap lane at NB).
- Single lanes will be used. Swimmers living in the same household may share a lane.
- Open Swim available.
- Open Swim Capacity: 12 people
- Groups should keep 6-foot distance between one another
- No reservation required.
- Pool Capacity: 25 people
- Please put equipment in designated bucket to be sanitized.
- Please don’t take breaks in adjoining lanes at the same time.
Additional Services & Programs
Racquetball – Racquetball is available at the Benton Harbor-St. Joseph YMCA with modifications of hand sanitizing between games and a maximum of four players per court.
Parties & Building Rentals – Will be offered for group sizes up to the allowed maximum capacity. Maximum capacity will be adjusted as we receive guidance from the health department.
Massage Therapy – Massage therapy is available at the Benton Harbor-St. Joseph & Niles-Buchanan branches by appointment only.
Personal Training – Personal training is available for in-person and virtual training.
CPR & Lifeguard Certifications – Are available and will be offered as needed.
Services Currently Unavailable
The following services are currently unavailable. Please check back for updates.
- Saunas & steam room
- Drinking fountains (bottle fillers remain open)